Climbers

Started by Lynne, May 25, 2009, 17:37:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mercurian

The wisteria flowers do last for quite a few weeks, certainly much longer than the mimosa ones which I love but only last for two weeks or so.  The one I referred to in Arboleas is obviously quite an old plant and it has been in flower for at least the last 6 weeks, perhaps more.  I think that the foliage on a wisteria is quite attractive too.

I've just thought of another climber too - I think it's called bignonia.  I have three of them in various parts of my garden and they are covered in pink, trumpet-shaped flowers which do last for weeks, and bignonia is evergreen.

Lynne

We would love a Wysteria but the flowers don't last very long do they?  Mind you, that was in the UK - how long do they last here?  They're one of the most beautiful looking climbers I've seen. We don't mind if a couple of climbers are deciduous or no perfume as long as the others aren't.  Thought about Clematis too but there are so many different kinds that it's trying to find the right one - one that's not too sparse but with plenty of flowers.

I have yet to see a Ceanothus (California Lilac) over here.  They are beautiful, grow rapidly and although they're classed as a bush/small tree, they can be trained to grow up a trellis.  We had one in our garden in England.  Don't know if they grow over here though.
You can't always control who walks into your life...but you CAN control which window you throw them out of.

Mercurian

What about wisteria?  Unfortunately it is deciduous but there is one along the front wall on a house in Arboleas and it is beautiful just now.  I have one up against a wall and it grows like stink.  The other climber I have is clematis which does very well but deciduous too.  This wouldn't matter so much if you mixed in with evergreen.

Lynne

Usually I like tried and tested recomendations first rather than advice from people trying to sell their goods.  I might just 'go for it' and see what happens.  Thanks anyway Dan.
You can't always control who walks into your life...but you CAN control which window you throw them out of.

Danny

Hi Lynne,

pop down the garden centre and ask! Personally I would go for fruit, but not sure there are many options there, but anything to keep away the mossies has to be good.

Dan

Lynne

No more suggestions?  Surely not everybody has just Jasmine or Honeysuckle?

Lynne

That was our initial idea, to put some grape vines on it, but we've already decided to grow them along a long blank wall and there's only so many grapes I can tread!  Didn't know about the Jasmine/mozzies - as I'm virtually allergic to bites that will be a definite yes.

Lynne

Next month we want to get about 6 climbers for our new oblong wood pergola (3 vertical posts either side, about 3.5 mtrs long).  Has anybody got any suggestions please?  I would like some perfumed, reasonably fast growing, preferably NOT deciduous, don't mind doubling up so that we only have 3 varieties of climbers.  We had thought of Jasmine and Honeysuckle but would like to be guided by recommendations.