Re-using water bottles

Started by monkey, June 02, 2009, 15:12:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

knowall

Antimony poisoning is very similar to arsenic poisoning. In small doses, antimony causes headache, dizziness, and depression. Larger doses cause violent and frequent vomiting, and will lead to death in a few days.

andie

i did read a couple of years ago,abought some issue,with the plastic chemical componets  breaking down on older bottles and contamintating whatever was held in the container.

not tacking issue with anybody,i just rember reading it a wile ago .
(it was of intrest to me as i used to work on a chemical plant maitanace,bad medicen them chems )
S  :wave

NormanM

Re-using plastic water bottles is perfectly safe - provided they are kept clean.    The Us Food and Drugs Agency have approved PET bottles (the commonest kind) for multiple use.

Swiss studies, and the World Health organisation have shown that there is no rsik from antimony.  As a carcinogen, antimony is only significant when inhaled, not when ingested
From Normam

Oramblahome

I've always reused plastic bottles with no ill effects,all plastics used for food and drink must be food grade i.e not made from recycled plastic so free of contaminants in fact when I quizzed a health officer they even said it was okay to reuse food containers to store food in as long as they are thoroughly cleaned

willemina

You can buy proper watercontainers at the fereteria's. Longo and Lepanto have several different sizes and models.

Oldjimmy

You know im going to have to google it now.
I really didn't know this my grandad daughter takes a bottle of squash everyday to school hope my daughter changes the bottle!!!!!
Never even thought of it before.

Cowboy Builder

We have been here for 8 years and we always refill bottles at the Fuente we only change them when the handles break ,some of them last for months ,i even get the new bottles from the bin when people throw them away not had any ill effects yet .

carl

I know small bottles were unsafe to keep re-using for germ reasons on the mouth piece etc but i didn't know about the big bottles ............you really do learn something everyday google is very informative.  :tiphat:

monkey

We have been on Google but there seems to be people for & against reusing the bottles so I think we'll play safe & purchase known safe containers,  can anyone recommend where to get them, looked in various shops with no success. :crazy:

knowall

There is a problem with all bottled water using PET plastic containers.
It is one of antimony contamination, which increases the longer the water is in the bottle.
Google it up.

Mercurian

I have heard the same.  I think it's OK to re-use plastic bottles once or twice but not on a regular basis.

monkey

We have heard that you shouldn't refill the 8ltr clear plastic water bottles because it could cause health problems can anyone confirm this?