Trees - general question

Started by Suej, June 18, 2009, 08:01:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Suej

Neil....thanks to advice from the garden club etc, that is what I have, each tree and shrub has a large bowl round it, when I water I fill that up and let it drain slowly away. I was more worried about carrying watering for too long if it wasn't needed.

Frankie,  there must be some soil somewhere or maybe Spanish slate is fertilish!, mind you things mostly grow slowly although my Siempre Verde hedge still got to two metres in 2 years and my Acacia trees are bounding away, so some stuff must like it, feel jealous when I see how fast things grow in arbleas and the coast though.

Mercuian like you my Jacaranda looked beautiful this year..

Thanks everyone

UEI

Apologies in advance if I am teaching you to 'suck eggs'.
When young, creating a shallow depression around the base of your trees and leaving the hose at a slight trickle for 30mins each tree every few days would help them 'get their roots down'.
The depression should prevent all the water running off into other areas away from the root spread, and should also get the roots going down looking for that deeper moisture. As a result those trees with deeper 'tap' roots will be more sturdy in winter winds and more drought resistant in future summers.
Blasting with a hose or 'sploshing' the contents of a watering can often just waters the surrounding area and encourages undesirable fibrous rooting close to the surface.
As already mentioned, once those root systems have established though, much less, if any, will be needed.

Mercurian

Quote from: Suej on June 18, 2009, 19:22:32 PM
Are they still growing,
Sue

Yes, they are still growing and the jacarandas have had beautiful flowers this year too.  My mimosa is looking a bit sad but that was some sort of insect attack, not lack of water.

Suej

Are they still growing, I've been giving mine a good deep water once a week but thought that might be too often.. maybe I do two week, then three weeks and then monthly and see how they go.

Thanks for your help

Sue

Mercurian

I work on the assumption that any trees which belong in this country will not need much water after they are well established (after a couple of years) so I water mine about once a month and they seem to do all right.

Suej

Hoping for some advice on watering trees.

I have a few flowering trees (not fruit) that have now been in the ground for 3 years.
Should I still be watering if so how much and how often
I live at Limaria, where we have rubbish soil and high winds....

Thanks Sue