Questionnaire on flora and fauna - A FURTHER REQUEST PLEASE

Started by chelseaphil, June 19, 2010, 17:59:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SIGMA

Hi Phil

I have already mentioned the 1.30 m Adder (or so I was told) in my garden at Los Carasoles a few weeks ago. I used to rent at Bedar and regularly had (before Xmas)6 Ibex, 2 adult and 4 young. I heard that there were 11 around El Pinar and they were a protected species, so they could have come from there. We have wild boar come onto the land next door to us and understand that they are shot at sometimes. I am told there is a HUGE male boar in the hills above us and lots of large snakes seen on the rambla here.
We have lots of swallows here and a few bee-eaters.

Tim1

Quote from: Suej on June 21, 2010, 16:10:15 PM
I'm a walker so could explain why I get to see a few things...

A year or so ago I saw a boar, it was feet away but at a higher level, made me jump out of my skin, wasn't aggressive but sounded like a heard of buffalo when it arrive (or something similar)

I disturbed a big boar once when walking along a stream valley high up in the Filabres beneath Calar Alto. He was HUGE!

I don't know which of us was the more scared though! :)

Fortunately he ran away from me faster than I could run away from him. I agree he made a hell of a noise as he crashed off, even squealing with fear!

hishmurgh

I live in Los Carrascos and think I have a fox visiting my garden

My dog often smells of fox ****

I am told they roll in it to smell like their predators we have quite large fences etc in the garden but I am beginning to think they are visiting the garden

Suej

I'm a walker so could explain why I get to see a few things...

A year or so ago I saw a boar, it was feet away but at a higher level, made me jump out of my skin, wasn't aggressive but sounded like a heard of buffalo when it arrive (or something similar) 

I saw a very young tortoise last Sunday, I had to move it as it was right in the middle of the track. It seemed happy enough eating away, this was towards the coast, so not too far. On the same walk I also saw a massive black snake and a black fox....

Also about a month or so ago I saw two young Ibex. This was pretty high up but not too far away from Arboleas.

Not sure if this counts but last year I also saw a nude man, well except for his trainers walking towards me and the person I was walking with on the track, this was just outside Mojacar, not on a nudist beach either and it was about 2pm. (I don't he was part of an endangered species, hence mentioning the location) ::)

Essex Girl

We had a pair of those very large lizards, (one was about 18" and the other 24" from head to tail) set up home and had a family at the bottom of our garden a few years ago.  We have not seen them in the garden since, but we now have 2 dogs and a cat!  I have seen a couple while walking the dogs.  We have quite a variety of birds that feed from our bird table. We now have blackbirds which were not here 7 years ago.  We also see buzzards and the occasional eagle, but can not tell which type. There are foxes here, but have never seen a boar although our neighbours have. Bees by the thousand, including carpenter and bumble, and those little ones with the "spear on the front"! There are also several different types of dragon fly and preying mantis.  Hope this is helpful.

I FORGOT TO MENTION THE LOCUSTS, THE ENORMOUS SPIDERS AND SEVERAL TYPES OF SNAKE. I HAVE NOT SEEN A SCORPION OR HUGE CENTIPEDE YET THIS SUMMER, BUT IT IS STILL EARLY.
A wise old owl sat in an oak,
The more he saw the less he spoke,
The less he spoke, the more he heard,
Why aren't we like that wise old bird?

cactus jack

Phil
I have seen a single fox cub on 4 occasions on the mountain road just past the waterhousing building as you drive out of Limaria, not seen either of the parents.
Also lot's of flat snakes with tyre marks all over them.

Andy.

chelseaphil

Would forum members be good enough to post on here any sightings of Linx, deer, fox, Tortoises, boar, Eagles. If anyone can come up with other suggestions of animals that are not often seen please say so here.

IT HAS BEEN BROUGHT TO MY ATTENTION, AND RIGHTLY SO, THAT I SHOULD ASK MEMBERS NOT TO POST THE LOCATION OF ANY SIGHTINGS, ESPECIALLY THOSE OF ENDANGERED SPECIES SUCH AS THE LINX AND TORTOISE. HOWEVER, IT WOULD BE USEFUL INFORMATION IF YOU CAN PM OR EMAIL ME THE LOCATION.  THIS WILL NOT BE PUBLISHED IN THE PAPER. BUT MAY BE USED TO PROVIDE ADDITIONAL INFORMATION TO OTHER RESEARCH GROUPS RESEARCHING ENDANGERED SPECIES IN ALMERIA.

If you can take a photo or two that would be even better. You can send them to me at phil@rentinspain.co.uk Any photos will ONLY be used with the photographers permission and will be credited in the paper when it is published.  Possibly one of these journals: Geomorphology, Journal of Arid Environments, Journal of Environmental Management or European Journal of Wildlife Research

This is not that scientific, but if it can be shown that theses animals are being seen by people out walking etc then it may be useful information. Thanks Phil

chelseaphil

Possibly Sue.

That would need a separate QA. And may come about later if I find that we need that built into the research project.

Suej

Isn't it just important to get a few of those who haven't got plants/gardens to see what they have noticed generally?

Sue

chelseaphil

Thanks folks. Up to 67 now. only another 133 to go :)

You must live in an apartment then cheeky. Hard to grow a tree in a window box  :lol:  Thanks anyway.

cheekyseranos

Hi Phil,

I am one of that 100 not to repsond, just to let you know the reason we did not submit, took a look at the questions and we feel that a large percentage of them were not relevant to where we live, and therefore not much help to your research, good luck with it all though.
Ay up cocker, what's occuring? Life's Lush ain't it

maireh

Maire

Jill

chelseaphil

Now up to 36. Thanks.

I have been asked if I would be prepared to do a talk at the Gardening club.  This I am happy to do once the research is completed.  So look out for an announcement in the Autumn.

chelseaphil

Many thanks to the now 27 respondents.  Yes, I agree the Bee eaters have returned here in Limaria too after a couple of years of not many around.

northwichvics

So have i, just to add, seem to be far more Bee Eaters nowadays, is it my imagination?

chelseaphil

Thank you to the 11 people that have so far completed the questionnaire.

To the other 100 or so people that have read the post and not completed the QA please PM me if you have concerns about completing it.  There are NO personal questions, I do not ask for your name, DoB, address or anything. It is completely anonymous.  Once the research has been completed and the paper written I will provide a copy for everyone to read on here. 

Why am I doing it?  Because as a former lecturer in geography and Environmental management I still retain an interest. Whilst there has been an abundance of development of urbanisations in the Almanzora Valley. My view is that as far as the environment is concerned this has probably been a positive thing.  I want to write about that. 

I am looking for at least 200 respondents and would be grateful if forum members could contribute to this research.  Thanks Phil 

chelseaphil

I am commencing research into the changes in flora and fauna in the Almanzora Valley.  Changes in the respect of the large swathes of land that have been cleared to make way for new housing. Has that had a detrimental impact or an unexpected positive impact on vegetation and subsequently the fauna. And if this then had an impact and water consumption.

The questionnaire is completely private and no personal information is required unless you complete the last question asking for your email address if you are prepared to answer further questions if needed.

I am open to suggestions for other questions to be included but only for the next 48 hours. Please PM me if you have any.  

There are 22 short questions.  It should take no more than 10mins to complete it. Click here to go to the questionnaire:

http://www.impressity.com/Survey/sl.aspx?SurveyLinkId=yddjdvxxmlhedjxkzygl