Loki

Started by owdoggy, February 07, 2013, 08:56:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rozzieb

And, no matter what you give him that he can "officially" chew on, the forbidden fruits will always win, we are in the process of throwing away a perfectly good sofa [apart from a mullered arm- now completely devoid of stuffing] that our youngest has taken a liking to [and she is just over 1 yr old!!- when will it stop?] still its an improvement on the lovely leather armchair that she wrecked last year I suppose!!

Hang on in there Doggy, they say it gets better with time!!

owdoggy

My mornings used to be so peaceful!

I am always up with the larks (at the moment it's 06:30) but I am the type of person that needs two cups of coffee first thing be anywhere close to functioning as a normal human being but all that has changed since the arrival of Loki. With only half a cup of coffee I am now expected to not only find out where I am but feed the little darlings then become location referee on the ensuing play fights. Fighting on the sofas is strictly forbidden but that doesn't stop them using said pieces of furniture as springboards when there's a bit of "chase me, chase me" going on which usually results in dog(s) shooting forward and settee shooting backwards into the wall. It's all growl yip crash bang wallop from the off and by the time we all come back in from the morning walk I am completely cream crackered. v(

Loki has two speeds..... sleep & full chat. He zooms around the garden like a mad thing but hasn't quite worked out yet that after a bit of rain the tiles don't have the same amount of traction. The other day he came racing along, tried to brake, both front paws washed out to the right and, in a manoeuvre which reminded me of a plane landing without a nose wheel, slid nose first & chinned himself on the step. He got up, shook his head then headed off at warp factor ten to savage the palm tree.

The more confident he gets, the more he seems to chew and, worryingly, apart from the stuffing from chair covers (his favourite) a couple of cables have been chewed through. The cables weren't live but it is a concern. We leave both dogs outside when we go out and I think there comes a time when Harvey can't be bothered play fighting any more which is when the chew-fest takes place. We have tried to limit what he can have a go at but his ability to perform miracle chewing feats is astonishing.

A quick update:
Loki is officially ours. We took him to the vets today to get chipped and with that, jabs for him & Harvey, a course of anti-blots for Harvey for a dodgy looking tooth and a couple of other things the amount of money spent was such that when I got home I had to go for a lie down in a dark room for a couple of hours to get over the shock.

I must go now & stop Loki chewing the arm of the settee ...... which is looking like this isn't the first time this has happened.

And it all starts again tomorrow........... my mornings used to be so peaceful.

Doggy

rozzieb

Ah, bless, don't they look contented, they know they have found the perfect place to be...............

Keep up the good work Harvey!!!

charlieboy

Well done Harvey :clap:
HelpingAnimalsAlmanzora

freddie

He looks so relaxed and happy  :wave :wave

casabonita

owdoggy

Well, it's been a week and a couple of days since Loki arrived & the transformation from the timid little pup who seemed to jump at his own shadow has been spectacular. It would be nice to say that this is all down to Sue & myself but, if I was honest, I think it is mostly down to Harvey. As I write there's the mother of all play fights in the corner with all sorts of growls & yips going on, as usual, but Loki has bonded so well to Harvey that it's made our job of bringing Loki on so much easier.

Loki is at the chewing stage and we can't use toys because Harvey gets a bit over protective about them but it would seem that when Loki fancies chewing something he chews Harvey which makes us wince sometimes because you know how sharp puppy teeth are. Harvey, big daft hound that he is, seems to love every minute of it.

We haven't got away scot free though because Loki has trashed the cushion on my sun chair outside ( notice it was mine & not Sue's) today and there's a few nibbles on various things in the house but I think, up to now, we have got off quite lightly.

It is a learning curve for Loki but also one for us because when we thought about it we haven't had a puppy since the 80's. Harvey was a year old when he turned up at the gate here.

Carlo here was a year old rescue dog from the UK.......

.......so the last time we had puppies to deal with it was 1984 (I think) with these two little blighters, Barney & Betty .......

.......who grew up ever so fast.

So just to recap, a lot of the time it's like this..........

...... but sometimes, briefly, it's like this :

Doggy

owdoggy

Loki is definitely less timid which of course is good news for him and us but not, maybe, for the house ...... and my dressing gown. It's hard enough to find the coffee pot first thing in the morning without having to do it with a manic pup savaging the bottom of your dressing gown!

I think that timidity must be inversely proportional to mayhem i.e. the less of one the more of the other because when Loki & Harvey decide to have a play fight they're like dog versions of whirling dervishes and furniture, doors, walls and human legs are just things to bounce off whilst having a good time.

It's not all plain sailing though, we have to be careful at feeding times because Harvey has had a couple of goes at Loki if he thinks he's getting between him & food so I think, for now, separation is the key. Strangely, it's only at proper meal times when this happens. If we give them biscuits or, even better, a bit of sausage for the odd treat then they're both as good as gold.

Speaking of food, Loki is a thief! Sue decided to have breakfast outside but let her concentration lapse just for a second and Loki was up on the chair, the table, then off across the garden, at warp factor ten, with half a slice of cheese on toast followed closely by a big dog and a rather irate human...... the little darling.

Doggy

cgmaywood

Fab photos, well done you, glad to see Loki is settling in nicely and Harvey is happy to share the sofa.

Chrissy

owdoggy

Quote from: Popsie on February 10, 2013, 15:05:23 PM
I love the seating arrangement!  the throw is nearly all for the dogs, leaving a small space for the human! just like my house.  Well done

Aye well, someone must have let it slip that the settee is only a two seater!

Doggy

rozzieb

Doggy, well done you again !!!

Please keep the stories of Loki coming, can't wait for next instalment, I'll put them in book form if you want and try and get them published for you.

Good on you mate

Roz & Rik xxxx

Popsie

I love the seating arrangement!  the throw is nearly all for the dogs, leaving a small space for the human! just like my house.  Well done

Lynne

Peaceful - so glad that Harvey doesn't appear to be jealous.
You can't always control who walks into your life...but you CAN control which window you throw them out of.

charlieboy

He really is settling in well :)
HelpingAnimalsAlmanzora

owdoggy

One dog is interested in rugby (and beer!) the other two aren't.

I'll leave you to work out which ones aren't the rugby fans.

Doggy

owdoggy

Loki is a nervous dog at the moment. Yesterday evening, after both dogs had been fed & watered and everything was settling down, we never thought and just turned the telly on. Loki just about freaked and it was then we realised that he hasn't experienced a lot of the sights & sounds from inside a house, even a kitchen drawer closing makes him jump but hopefully time will cure all.

Nervous dog he may be but he loses a lot of said nervousness when it comes to food. He can eat faster than Harvey! ..... which I thought was impossible but there you go. Sue reckons it's because, for a good part of his life, he probably didn't know when his next meal would be so he has to sling it down while he can. That's all well & good but someone should tell him that doesn't include my spaghetti bolognese...... I shall explain.

Sue & I usually have dinner, on a tray, on our laps, watching the telly. I know it's awfully bad form but there you go, we just like to live on the edge. Anyway, I sat down with my tray on my lap as usual but after removing what is supposed to be a very nervous puppy that doesn't go anywhere near humans from my spaghetti for the third time  I suggested to Sue that, if we didn't want a manic pup with spaghetti dreadlocks and a tomato sauce smile dashing round the house, it might be a good idea to have dinner at the table.

No one said it was going to be easy.

Doggy

lisa j

Owdoggy, you are an absolute star! The stories are great reading - have you thought about a book!!??
The dogs look an absolute credit to you both - hope they give you much love and companionship and happy times in the coming years - enjoy!
You canĀ“t beat a happy ending.
:clap:
Rambla De Oria's only licensed Elephant Catcher.

Ray144

v( Could not find a guitar player
Smashing, looking forward to meeting Loki with Harvy on our morning walk in the rambler once he is settled, will be nice to see Mrs Doggy out and about on the early morning doggy shift. Keep the biscuits coming.
From doggy friends, lick lick woof

cgmaywood

Looks promising.

Chrissy

jill cockfield

charlieboy

Thank you both again for giving him a lovely home. He looks like he will settle in quite quickly!
HelpingAnimalsAlmanzora

owdoggy

Loki is now a resident of Casa de los Perros Locos and things are going well.

At first he wasn't very sure at all & hid near the palm tree.

He decided that a cuddle would be nice with Harvey looking on.

......maybe get to know Harvey a bit better.

...... I wonder if that human has got another bit of sausage.

Then a general wander about was the order of the day....... you can see that Harvey was beside himself with excitement.

I know it's only the first afternoon but the signs are good and all's quiet on the western front ........ apart from Loki's snoring

Doggy

Bev

Looking forward to more funny stories, what a lucky little fella x

soosoo

I didn't realise you were Norse Cantab  :whistle:

cantabrian

I AM flattered that you named your dog after me !!

jill cockfield

Yes! Another happy ending, so pleased xxxx

charlieboy

HAA is so happy about you adopting him. Will be interesting to see just how big he does get when he is fully grown.
HelpingAnimalsAlmanzora

Nina

Well done Doggy!!   He is a beautiful boy who has landed well and truely on his feet.

all the best to your new family member and we look forward to many stories in the future.

regards Nina :tiphat:
My dog's not spoiled ... I'm just well trained !

casabonita

He is Gorgeous, wish you much happiness.
Our new Pup (now just 6 months) is timid also but such a loving, lovely boy.

tosh

Glad Loki's gone to such a loving home, and rest assured with patience and love, he will become as mad a Harvey!! Look forward to your updates!!! (And pics).

Lynne

Please keep the stories coming, and how Loki gets on with Harvey.
You can't always control who walks into your life...but you CAN control which window you throw them out of.

cgmaywood

Well done to you, hope you are going to post some of your lovely stories as you did before, they were hilarious!!

Chrissy

mickandjan

Hee hee hee.....he doesn't look too timid on that sofa!   ;)

freddie

Thank you so much for giving this lovely boy a forever home, my husband and I collected him from the very kind people that had been feeding him, and took him to the fosterers for  HAA and also fell in love with him, he has the most beautiful eyes - but husband would have killed me if I had said a word about keeping him as we already have 4.

Have very happy times with your new boy  :wave :wave

owdoggy

We are going to have a new member of the family! He is a pup that was abandoned but, thankfully, rescued by those lovely people at Helping Animals Almanzora. We went to see him yesterday, took one look at him & that was that.

We are going to call him Loki after the Norse god of mischief, he is only 4 months old but is going to be a big lad. At the moment though he is very timid and responds better to other dogs rather than humans so we're relying on Harvey to show him the ropes.
Why, when I read the last part of that sentence, do I get a feeling of impending mayhem?

I can imagine it going something like this:
[Spike from "Tom & Jerry" voice on] Well you see son it's like this. My humans are nice but the best thing is they're really easy to control. If you're feeling a bit peckish all you have to do is the "Feed me, I'm starving" look but don't forget to use the big, sad, soulful eyes, a bit like this.......

......  and, hey presto, a nice bit of sausage!

And they laugh when you jump about a lot like this .....

...... which usually ends in, at least, a biscuit.

Oh, and if you do this when they're watching the big, magic mirror thing in the corner .....

...... they'll tickle your tummy for ages. [Spike from "Tom & Jerry" voice off]

All joking aside the timidness is going to be a problem at first but hopefully, in time, Loki will be as mad as Harvey ...... oh god! What am I saying!

Doggy