Chainsaw Sharpening

Started by Chris485, February 27, 2013, 18:48:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Optomist

Quote from: Chris485 on February 28, 2013, 09:25:44 AM
Thank you for all your replys. Jesus, jow complicated can it be? I will take it to one of the suggestions made and get it done. I am certainly nt capable of doing it myself. Thanks again anyway.

The reason why angles and guides and everything else has to be right is that the chain attacks the wood with not 1 cutter but many every second so any variation is amplified . I found 1st time i sharpened one myself it cut to the left and in a curve , when i tried to force it straight at 1st it stopped cutting then the chain came out of the Guide slot , the solution was simple , sharpen the cutters on the right , the same as a the friction from a tyre steers the car the cutters do the same .

Things only seem complicated until you have done them . My advice take your chainsaw to somewhere that sells the files and buy the right one for the chain or you might find the chain size you have from the manual . Do it slowly the 1st time and as Pringles says you will get a lot of satisfaction to see it cutting through the wood like a knife through butter . Read an article on one of the many websites and you will understand the principles and what to do and what not to do . A file is useful to have even if you always have the chain sharpened by someone else , they always seem to go blunt when you need them or your half way through the job , with a file you can touch up the cutting edge enough to keep you going until you can take it to be resharpened .
If you see someone without a smile give them one of yours .

Chris485

Thank you for all your replys. Jesus, jow complicated can it be? I will take it to one of the suggestions made and get it done. I am certainly nt capable of doing it myself. Thanks again anyway.
Chris
The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese

Optomist

I bought a machine to do it and takes only a few minutes saves cost or resharpening each time so paid for itself , more important is that i can do it whenever i need to rather than have to wait until i can take it to be done . Avoid anyone using a dremil or any electrical tool thats not purpose made for the job as its very much hit and miss even for someone doing it all the time , if one side is cut more than the other or the angle is not same each side it will cut a curve and can be dangerous , it can cause the chain to snag , bend the blade or even dislodge chain from the blade . It should always be done equally each side and with a guide to make sure you have correct angle for the type of cut you want .

Pringles suggestion works well and the files are less than a euro but you need to buy the right diameter file for the chain , a good tip is to use same number of strokes for each cutter to keep them to the same length . Its also important to file down the guides between the cutters every so often , use a steel rule across the cutters to make sure the guides are lower , they also effect the cut

Before you cut into the wood always hold the end of the blade close to it to be sure the chain is receiving oil , you should see a line of oil , if the oil holes in the blade become blocked you will soon blunt your chain and burr the guide slot in the blade .
If you see someone without a smile give them one of yours .

PRINGLE

hi. if you are only using it occasionally, try and do it yourself.  a good correct size file from longo's, etc and just take your time. gives you the satisfaction when it cuts wood like a butter knife again. and you can do it again whenever it needs it. failing that be wary if taking it to somewhere that uses a dremel or a automatic sharpening machine thing. if done wrong it can wreck your chain instantly. if it has blue or discoloured edges after sharpening, it has overheated and the temper is gone and it will go blunt quickly, hence i prefer to do it myself slowly. i hope this  usefull for you.   cheers.

REG

IanA

Intenational boot sale on Sat chap near entrance will do it

Chris485

Does anyone have the wherewithal to sharpen a chainsaw blade? Or know where I can get it done?
Chris
The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese