´Twas on a Friday morning when the gasman came to call...

Started by NormanM, August 16, 2013, 20:35:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PuffTheMagicDragon

Quote from: ian bennett on August 24, 2013, 21:11:15 PMI had a problem with my gas boiler on Friday and went to Fontarboleas (where I originally bought it from) and a very nice man came out later that day to sort it out.

My wife once let some of these guys into our house, just before I arrived home, when I did, I told them to leave, which they eventually did.
Later I realised, they'd actually sabotaged some things in my house. One of the ball bearings from a regulator had been popped out, and the sensor for the thermal cut out on a water heater had been moved, thus making it cut out unnecessarily........Hmm

Puff

uslot

A friend had a phone call to make an appointment for the gas check after having letters saying her gas check was due. She agreed to it and meet the man at a bar as it's easier to find. She asked for id and he became evasive so she left. Lucky they weren't at her house! She has top notch Spanish but had still thought they were the proper company.

ian bennett

Strangely enough I had a visit from the said gasmen after making a plausible phone call to me to make an appointment. They had asked for my husband who had passed away three years ago and were apologetic when I told them. They came and "checked" my appliances telling me there were certain things that needed replacing as well as a new certificate. They started to write out a "bill" for the items I needed (including a carbon dioxide meter) which totaled something in the region of €230 including IVA...compulsory, you understand! Alarm bells had started ringing before this and I told them of previous visits from other "gasmen" who they insisted were "bandits." I told them I had insufficient funds to pay for this and was told they would accept credit cards but reiterated about lack of funds. I asked for a phone number to call them when I had the money. They gave me one (which I haven't checked) and said it was a central number but their office was in Vera. Needless to say I haven´t rung them! I had a problem with my gas boiler on Friday and went to Fontarboleas (where I originally bought it from) and a very nice man came out later that day to sort it out. I asked him about renewing my certificate (which was the "bandits" original ploy) and he said they could do it and would be in the region of €60 including all the checks. So the bandits are getting smarter! They don´t just turn up on the doorstep, they make appointments and even tell you the name of the guy who will be coming.....just to make it seem real of course! I suggest you all check the date of your gas certificate (if you have one of course!) and renew it after five years with your local Spanish plumber as I am and if the "bandits" call....tell them where to stick it!!!

serenity

I think they target the Brits when they can see your Sky dish from the road.  Having suffered these people, we watched (after sending them away with a flea in their ear) to see if they went to our Spanish neighbours.  No - they only visited properties where a Sky Dish can be seen from the road.

lorca lad

Hi,

They appear up here as well ..... I tell them that I have no gas appliances ...... When they see the gas BBQ ...... I tell them that it is charcoal !!!!!

Lots of confused looks and ...... Eventually ... They go away.

L.L.

NormanM

Friday afternoon, actually.  But the rip off merchants turned up in La Perla Verde this pm in an unmarked silver SEAT, claiming to be from the gas company, with their office in Cartagena.(!)

After a brief and sometimes heated discussion, they left.  So look out.  They are quite plausible, very insistent, and harvest your name from the telephone directory.  They then call to tell you that they will be round later to check your gas supply.  If they land on your doorstep, I suggest you ask them to leave.
From Normam