Spanish Freeview/Freesat

Started by Marietw, October 19, 2013, 13:03:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

busybusy

When you connect the cable from your Astra 28 dish directly to your television, you will not receive the Freesat programming guide if you bought your television in Spain. (Whereas the in-built satellite tuner on UK TV models is 'Freesat': Freesat is not available on Spanish TV models.) This means that the satellite programming guide on your Spanish TV is not fully supported, unlike 'Freesat'.

Thanks for that info , i hadn't realized that so i will be sure to buy the next one in Spain also , almost bought this one in the UK so pleased we didn't now .

Since you have other dishes, I would suggest that you connect those directly to your TV which almost certainly can also manage your DiSEqC switch. And leave your larger dish connected to your Humax receiver to get the best from Freesat. This combination would give you the widest range of programmes.

Again that's useful to know , couldn't find anything to tell me if the TV would control the DiseQc although we have returned to using the Humax for most of our viewing we can at least now utilize the other dishes again and have the option .

Again, the real benefit with your Smart TV is the networking capability. If your computers have Windows 7 or Windows 8 operating systems, you can share all your music, videos, and pictures stored on your computers through 'Homegroup'; and you can access all this directly from your TV. To do this your TV must be connected wirelessly, or by Ethernet cable, to your router: you can then simply use your TV remote control to call up a film from your computer library or generate a slideshow of your photos onto your TV.

Yes its so convenient , we use smart share and the TV shows whatever device is switched on without doing anything and as you said all the Photo , Video and Music files are accessed via the TV remote . The 3D selection is impressive although converting normal channels to 3D is effective but nothing like as good , bit like comparing matrixed audio signals to discreet ones through a surround system . very clever stuff , cant wait to see what they come up with next .

guest4538

Quote from: busybusy on October 20, 2013, 09:01:18 AM
As you say we do only have the FTA UK channels from the normal dish for Sky which as i said by simply unscrewing the cable from the Humax and screwing it to the TV however we have another two smaller dishes working through a diseque , we used to have them all connected to a European box although we stopped receiving a signal from two dishes when we opted to using just the Humax box , Skys program guide is also working on the TV as it does on the Humax , the format is different but I'm not sure why you thought it wouldn't be available .

Not sure about the flexibility of an Android box as i have never tried one , with the SMART TV we have pause , rewind , record and program guide plus android capabilities , Facebook , email , Skype and hundreds of other apps available should we chose to install any and being able to wirelessy access the internet or anything from any of our Laptops , PCs Android phones so it suits our needs .

When you connect the cable from your Astra 28 dish directly to your television, you will not receive the Freesat programming guide if you bought your television in Spain. (Whereas the in-built satellite tuner on UK TV models is 'Freesat': Freesat is not available on Spanish TV models.) This means that the satellite programming guide on your Spanish TV is not fully supported, unlike 'Freesat'.

Since you have other dishes, I would suggest that you connect those directly to your TV which almost certainly can also manage your DiSEqC switch. And leave your larger dish connected to your Humax receiver to get the best from Freesat. This combination would give you the widest range of programmes.

Again, the real benefit with your Smart TV is the networking capability. If your computers have Windows 7 or Windows 8 operating systems, you can share all your music, videos, and pictures stored on your computers through 'Homegroup'; and you can access all this directly from your TV. To do this your TV must be connected wirelessly, or by Ethernet cable, to your router: you can then simply use your TV remote control to call up a film from your computer library or generate a slideshow of your photos onto your TV.

Have fun...

busybusy

As you say we do only have the FTA UK channels from the normal dish for Sky which as i said by simply unscrewing the cable from the Humax and screwing it to the TV however we have another two smaller dishes working through a diseque , we used to have them all connected to a European box although we stopped receiving a signal from two dishes when we opted to using just the Humax box , Skys program guide is also working on the TV as it does on the Humax , the format is different but I'm not sure why you thought it wouldn't be available .

Not sure about the flexibility of an Android box as i have never tried one , with the SMART TV we have pause , rewind , record and program guide plus android capabilities , Facebook , email , Skype and hundreds of other apps available should we chose to install any and being able to wirelessy access the internet or anything from any of our Laptops , PCs Android phones so it suits our needs .

guest4538

Quote from: busybusy on October 19, 2013, 22:05:42 PM
We bought a SMART tv which is basically the same as having a separate android box built in , also has freesat and freeview incorporated so can pick up Sky and the Spanish satellite channels although the Spanish do call them both freeview , simple job of unscrewing the sat alight cable from the sky or Humax box and screwing it into the back of the tv then you have all the functions of a Humax or Sky plus with pause , rewind and record When you take into account the cost of the android boxes its worth considering if your thinking about upgrading your TV . 3D is also very cheap and worth the extra if you watch a lot of movies .

That's a little bit confusing! You wont pick up Spanish satellite programmes simply by screwing the cable from your Humax Freesat box into your TV! Presumably the cable is from your satellite dish aligned to Astra 28? So you will simply receive the free-to-air UK channels from Astra 28, without the benefit of the 'Freesat' format and its programme guide!

To receive Spanish satellite TV you would have to realign your dish to Astra 19 or Hispasat (it would be better to get a separate smaller dish for this purpose). But the cable from your terrestrial aerial will pick up Spanish free-to-air terrestrial channels when plugged into your TV.

I'm not sure that Smart TVs have the programming flexibility of an Android box, but you do have the benefit of networking your TV with your computers: this allows you to access the media stored on your computers, without the need for further connections. 

busybusy

We bought a SMART tv which is basically the same as having a separate android box built in , also has freesat and freeview incorporated so can pick up Sky and the Spanish satellite channels although the Spanish do call them both freeview , simple job of unscrewing the sat alight cable from the sky or Humax box and screwing it into the back of the tv then you have all the functions of a Humax or Sky plus with pause , rewind and record When you take into account the cost of the android boxes its worth considering if your thinking about upgrading your TV . 3D is also very cheap and worth the extra if you watch a lot of movies .

Cuddlybill

The 3 rings of marriage...........engagement ring, wedding ring & suffering!!
You only need 2 words to keep a marriage happy......Yes dear....

guest4538

Quote from: Marietw on October 19, 2013, 13:56:45 PM
We have UK Freesat plus dish etc,   we also have Spanish TV with not many channels and this is via an ariel.  What I am asking is, if there is a Spanish equivalent to the UK system what do we need to buy or have installed to get a bigger choice of Spanish channels?

Marie.

Spanish TV programmes are spread over several satellites, so if you really want to receive them all, get a motorised dish (probably 60cm would be large enough) and a free-to-air satellite receiver. It would probably cost you 100€ or more, and a lot of patience setting it up!

Is it worthwhile? Personally, just for Spanish TV, I don't think so: all the major Spanish channels are on terrestrial anyway! However if you want to receive TV from all over Europe, it can be fun to have a motorised dish!

Incidentally, I'm surprised you're not receiving many channels on Spanish terrestrial! There are loads and many in HD! Perhaps you need an aerial with more gain, or try realigning your existing one.

Marietw

We have UK Freesat plus dish etc,   we also have Spanish TV with not many channels and this is via an ariel.  What I am asking is, if there is a Spanish equivalent to the UK system what do we need to buy or have installed to get a bigger choice of Spanish channels?

Marie.

guest4538

Quote from: Marietw on October 19, 2013, 13:03:30 PM
Can anyone tell me what we need to have done/installed to go from Spanish Terrestrial TV to Spanish Freeview/Freesat and if possible estimate of cost.

Many thanks in advance.

Marie

I'm not sure what you mean! Freesat and Freeview are UK TV formats not Spanish.

If you are asking how to receive UK TV in Spain, then you need a large dish (at least 1.8 metres) and a satellite receiver: Freesat, Sky or generic FTA (free to air). Freeview is a terrestrial receiver and it will not pick up UK TV in Spain.

Marietw

Can anyone tell me what we need to have done/installed to go from Spanish Terrestrial TV to Spanish Freeview/Freesat and if possible estimate of cost.

Many thanks in advance.

Marie