android tv box

Started by arnie, February 09, 2014, 09:40:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldbirchy

Yes Hogs you can. But it will set you back about £40 as only apple are making them at present. This is bound to change so keep watching eBay. I have just ordered the old apple connector to HDMI for my iPod touch 4th generation and am hoping that it will work when it arrives. It was only £8 from eBay.

Regards Andy

Optomist

For quite some time all the experts have rightly been saying wait and see and now that the change over is in the process of happening there's a lot more information and experience to base the decision on , predictions of a 1.8 mt dish appear to be correct in many cases .

I think the same approach should be taken with Android boxes , wait and see , could be they are the answer for some , certainly cheaper than a new dish but at least with a dish all things being equal the reception has proved itself to be reliable and constant . OK the weather can be a factor and you could temporarily louse some channels but even then you still have others to watch until it improves , you don't with your Android box , it works or it doesn't and when it doesn't you aint got anything . The current advantage with Internet TV over Satellite given the present situation is that you can actually sample it using your present PC or laptop first over a few weeks before making a financial commitment .

Even with really good equipment we dont find Internet TV provides as good a picture as satellite and reception will always be dependent on more factors than satellite . Satellite TV has been around a long time and is known to be consistent , sky boxes can be picked up for €25 all over the place , doubt android boxes will be so readily available and cheap to replace . We have both and our internet is fine and reception is perfect from as little as 2mbg but our internet viewing will be only ever be for emergencies .
If you see someone without a smile give them one of yours .

Big Bad John

:police: I recently bought an Android Box from Amazon ES, for €70, had a problem with Customs Duty but all sorted now. Had Mike Barnes set it up, get all BBC Channels now with excellent reception. Heard a rumour that ITV are pulling the plug tonight so it looks like we will all need an Android Box?  >:D
BigBadJohn.

doreen1

Quote from: SunnyJim on February 10, 2014, 11:20:53 AM
Ive heard from a few people who have bought these things at market and they paid €160. Isnt that an installed price?

200 euro instaled

sue

Hi all,

We are in las Lazaros..using Albox-online and just had our Android box fitted yesterday....reception bad on the internet at the moment ...I raised a call again last night and they seem to be having a few problems..last week it was a antenna damaged ..now the wind as caused problems.....probuley very true but we are still paying a considerable high price for a sevice that's not there..

s e davies

Roger

Just had my android box up and running.
I had TV on my laptop but need to work on the lap top while we also watch the TV, so the android box is cheaper than a second lap top.

Reception no problem, and the Arboleas Internet is still over 10 meg ,so we are well over my contract speed of 4 meg.
Juan seems to think that it will not be a problem to maintain internet speed.

The bigger dish solution is 1000 euros for 1.95m or 1700 for 2.4m.
And we are getting no clear report about how well they work. The problem is that so many comments do not state where they live.
What is the clear feedback on dish size in Almanzora.
I don't need to know about the Costa Blanca.

polo

Thanks Claire32,
We are now up and working using a tablet, have decided against an android box for now.

It has only cost us a cable and a new TV (long overdue), picture isn't perfect but reckon we have got away quite lightly compared with a new dish.

SunnyJim

Ive heard from a few people who have bought these things at market and they paid €160. Isnt that an installed price?

doreen1

Hang on just checking with my techno dept.....because you can :lol:it seems there are people who can unlock something and we get it. Sorry not even Malcolm is sure.

If you work for Sky, I know nothing...other than that contact Jamie at Android man he will be able to explain things better.

:wave

Brian

Hi doreen1, how do you get sky sports without subscription?

Queen Clare Shirley

If you use your tablet to watch tv then you cant use it for anything else as that will appear on the screen

Certain tablets come with an HDMI hole, some come with a mini HDMI socket which will need an adaptor.

IPADs and Galaxy tabs dont come with this, you will need a specific adaptor dependent on the make. I have one for my galaxy phone s2 which doesnt work with the galaxy tab 3 and Ive yet to try with my Galaxy S4

If you are connecting an old laptop to a new tv with HDMI sockets you will need an adaptor which you can buy from amazon or most computer shops, try dynos or APP by mercadona.

The same adaptor can be purchased if you have an older tv to a newer laptop.

If you have an older tv and older laptop then a normal cable with the blue end should suffice, if not you may have a s-video connection on your laptop which you can connect via the scart plug to your tv

Hope this helps
ILLIA RULES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Arrived Torrevieja 5th November 1988

sapper

Bought one at Los LLanos on saturday easy to install works very well picture is not perfect but more than watchable.

doreen1

Hi Sandralos,
We have an android box for about a month now. We bought it through Android Man. We have internet from Arboleas Town Hall.

We get all the stations, BBC included. Sky sports, BT sports films etc. was a bit dubious at the start and we had a few teething problems, but Jamie has been very helpful.

My problem with using my IPad to watch TV, is my iPad then is out of service as such.

So far so good, it's cheaper than a dish the size of an island in your garden.

:wave

sandralos

Can these Android boxes pick up BBC then?   They sound too good to be true.

serenity

I would say that a lot of people do not have Tablets or Kindles.  I know quite a few friends of ours who do not have said devices but have had an Android box installed and have been pleased with the result.  No hassle as everything is set up for you and explained and back up service when you want.  Yes I know you pay more this way, but they have the satisfaction to have someone on the end of a telephone or by email to help you. out.

lesinalbox

Arnie,  do shop around the ones on the market are about 160 Euros  but you can find the same on amazon for about £60.

shadeseeker

hi, I have a Sony tablet but it will not connect to tv without a MHL lead. this plugs into your micro charging point and then you need an adapter on the end to convert to hdmi. then plug into your TV. Some tablets do have a hdmi point already built in so its just a matter of pluging it directly into your hdmi point on your TV and heh presto.
'tis better to remain silent and appear an idiot than to open your mouth and forever remove all doubt! (translation from Ancient Wisdom of Confucius)

flintstone

Thanks for the posting Claire.

Could you please clarify why initially you say that you can link from a tablet with a mini-USB but you later say that your tablet must have an hdmi port?

Probably me just being a bit thick.

polo

Thanks Claire, bought the HDMI cable yesterday, the tablet end is fine, but the other end does not fit the TV, the port that is labelled PC on the TV is a 15 pin (female) with the screw points at the side . I assume that is why you mentioned a converter in your post? Does anyone know where I can get one from?

It isn't all bad at least my husband could watch the football highhights this morning on the tablet!

claire23

I posted this another thread the other day.

I would not bother buying an android box if you have a Kindle Fire HD or and Android tablet.  Simply go to Google Play and download the Filmon app to your Kindle fire, buy a cable to go from the mini USB port to your HDMI TV slot using a converter and away you go.  Or with the Android Tablet do the same thing but with the tablet you can also download and install exactly the same XBMC software that comes with the android boxes.  Then install Filmon.  All that the XBMC software gives you is the ability to stream and watch recorded movies and TV series.  There are loads to choose from including the recent series of Silent Witness.
'
If you just want to watch live BBC etc then all you need is Filmon.  My son was over last week and set it all up for me on both Kindle Fire and hubby's tablet.  Your tablet must have an HDMI output though.  Which most have these days.  He watched George Gently on Thursday night on the TV using his Tablet and I watched my soaps on the Kindle.  Neither of them froze up.  The picture is not HD but just like the old days before HD came along.

Hubby watched the England Rugby yesterday on our 42in TV using my android tablet no break up either.  I watched Star Wars on the Kindle Fire.

arnie

can anybody tell me if the android tv box does the job i see it being demonstrated on the market and it all seemed to good to be true does it really work