NIE and School advice needed for newcomer

Started by Optomist, March 14, 2014, 12:36:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Optomist

Thank you everyone for the advice , we've passed it on and our niece who was very grateful for the information , seems things have not changed in the education system since our own child started junior school 12 years ago , was expecting it to be completely different now as things don't normally stay the same for long in Spain .
If you see someone without a smile give them one of yours .

Draco

Our son started in ESO 1(Secondary) in a small primary school in a village.The class was very small and he did not enjoy it there. We arrived in March and he repeated year 1 the next year. All we needed for him was a padron and a Spanish contact number as for some reason they could not access our English mobile. We moved house and we transferred him to the secondary school in Cantoria which he has enjoyed. He is now in ESO 4 so is nearly finished his compulsory education. Remember they start school earlier here, he catches the bus at 7.35am but finishes at 2.30pm. Primary schools start at 9.00am.
We only had a report from England but they were not really interested in his ability other than the fact he spoke no Spanish - he picked it up very quickly, in fact the time between March and June when he first arrived was spent learning Spanish.

Elgin

I beleive that NIE's are not essential until a child is 14.  However, as/when they apply for EU citizens registration an NIE will be allocated.

This is not a good time of the year for them to start school in Spain as it is almost inevitable that they will "fail" this year and have to start it again in the next school year.  The registration period for new students for the next accademic year is around now but not to panic too much as they will almost certainly get a place anyway.  Also, they should be able to start school very quickly.  The first place to start with is the local school(s) where they want to go.  The 13 year old will (normally) have to go to secondary school and the 10 and 8 year olds to Primary school anlthough a small number of primary schools take children up to 14.  Most (reasonably sized) villages have a primary school and secondary schools are in the larger towns (e.g. Huercal Overa (2) and Albox).  Free transport is usually available for those living more than 2km away (but you have have a distance to travel to the nearest bus stop).  The current school year will end around about 20 June and the next school year will start around 8 September for primary schools and 15 September for secondary schools.  The schools will be closed for the week up to easter.  There are no "half term" holidays as such but there are national and local holidays from time to time which give them the odd day(s) off from time to time.  Primary school hours are 9 - 2 and secondary schools 8 - 2.30.

Casa Montes

Which area will they be renting? I have 2 children 10 & 12. One is in 5th year of primary in El Prado, and the other 1st year of high school in Albox. No NIE is required. For primary a copy of the child's vaccination book is required. If you need any more info please get in touch.

Lianne
The purpose of our life is happiness: The Dalai Lama

Don't look down on people unless you are helping them up.

alansue

Hi again. Its me and I think I can help you with the information you are looking for regarding your neice and the three children. I have pmd you. Regards Alan

pannica

greetings highlander

Optomist

We have a niece and her 3 young kids coming over next month and renting for 6 months to decide if they want to stay or not and want to know if they can put the kids into school and what would be needed . The kids are 13 10 and 8 , will they need NIEs and if so how easy or difficult would it be for them to get them as they will not have incomes or savings to show . Any advice on the above or anything else we may have overlooked would be very much appreciated .
If you see someone without a smile give them one of yours .