RECOMMENDATIONS PLEASE!!!

Started by momo, April 25, 2014, 11:56:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ColinC

Better still buy a mac, got windows 8 (8.1) don't like the operating system at all! Make far too many assumptions for me! Very tempted to wipe mine and install Linux!.. Each to their own I suppose!

ray

I totally agree with Compton re windows 8. My wife has 7 on here laptop and 8 beats it hands down.

compton

Firstly don't get drawn in to all the false hype about Win 8 & 8.1 being no use, yes it's different but it has two interfaces and in desktop mode it's a much faster and cleaner version of Windows 7. The people who generally complain have not bothered to find out how the system works which to be fair is not entirely their fault as Microsoft have not made finding the basics easy. Yes Microsoft made a big mistake in removing the Start menu/button but a 2 minute install of a small program will remedy that.

8 & 8.1 are superior, in Resource usage, Ram usage, Start up speed, backward compatibility, will have a longer life span than Win7, have built in AV software, and allow better and easier access to cloud computing. Windows 8.1 is far more secure than Win7 and way and beyond anything you get with XP and now even more so now updates have ceased. 8 & 8.1 supports bitlocker file encryption without the TPM chip (trusted platform module), you had to go top end of market to find compatible Win7 machines, Defender now monitors network behavior, and on and on.

You can purchase in Spain with Spanish operating system and change the language to virtually anything you want FREE, and of course you get the added advantage of 2yrs gtee, if there is a problem you can walk back to the shop rather than shipping it back to the UK. Yes you will end up with a Spanish keyboard and the @ key will be in a different place but it will be clearly marked.

Anyway back to your original request for specification advice, for Emails (either pop or web based), Google search, Facebook, Downloading music then an absolute base level entry machine will suffice (as long as it has an HDMI port). For Watching TV (I assume via internet) and skype then a slightly better processor and a bit more RAM (suggest i3 processor or above and 4 or 6GB ram) will improve performance. The overall performance of these last two will be governed mainly by your ISP's download speed but also by the HDDs capabilities (see below). If it's going to be on all the time overheating will only be a problem if it does not have sufficient air flow to the cooling vents.

If you can find a machine with an SSD (solid state drive) rather than HDD this will improve battery life and speed although you will pay more for this. My i3 Asus with an SSD and 8GB ram boots to a usable Win 8.1 system in 12secs and from sleep in 3 seconds, will transfer data at 90+MB per sec through USB3 and with a standard battery has over 6hrs usage.

Another advantage of Win 8.1 is that machines with Intel HD graphics 4000 are MIRACAST compatible (Nvidia probably later) so if you can add a dongle (30€) to your TV then you can stream video and audio wirelessly.
To summarise I would say.
4 to 6Gb RAM
1TB HDD or 120GB SSD and an external backup drive (at least if the laptop is lost or stolen you have all your precious data on a separate drive!!!)
i3 or above processor
If you can find a machine with USB3 ports then so much the better
HDMi port, camera
15 ½ screen Led back lit
Try and find a keyboard with a separate numeric pad (life is so much easier when entering numbers)
After that its really down to how much you want to pay.
2 men in a bar, the first asks for a H2o. His mate says I'll have an H2o too. The mate  dies!!
There are only 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary, and those who don't.
If nobody comes from the future to stop you doing it, then how bad of a decision can it really be?

Challenger 383

Unless you want to get a touch screen laptop with windows 8, try and get one with windows7, much better operating system imho

momo

I need a new laptop and wondered if any of you knowledgeable people out there could recommend one for me while I am in England.  I mainly use it for emails, google search, skype, fb, pics, downloading music, watching tv, so need something that is fast and reliable.  It is on most of the time, so overheating needs to be considered. Also need to use it with a hdmi lead to the tele.  Any suggestions and advise PLEASE.  Many thanks in anticipation.