Endessa Meter Box Key

Started by The Reiver, July 16, 2014, 08:01:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hurlez

Our meter has a window through which they read the meter but it gets very dusty.we also have the meter box enclosed in another box which has no window and requires a key to open it.
I ADVISE EVERYONE TO CHECK BOTH THEIR WATER AND ELECTRIC METER READINGS EVERY WEEK,THIS WAY ANY LEAKS OR SUDDEN INCREASE IN YOUR ELECTRIC CONSUMPTION CAN BE SEEN AND DEALT WITH BEFORE COSTS ESCALATE OUT OF CONTROL..
Hurlez

cougar

Can't read ours either as the plastic window has gone yellow from the sun

fernlea

But the window is there for the man to read,surely he doesn't unlock most peoples boxes just to read the meter ! ? Maybe you have a newer property because I have never found a problem reading a persons meter

tandas

Our box is locked by padlock which the meter readr has the key for, we can't actually see the meter through the windiw to read it ourselves.

fernlea

Doesn't the meter box have a window? (If the wires from the box had burnt out ,then it would appear that the system was overloaded,AND the fuse,which is normally in a connection box BEFORE the meter would have safe guarded such a problem) It would seem that a person? has TRIED to do an upgrade without thinking!! ) I Know of someone who is NOT qualified try to do this! (they just stuck a larger fuse in !!!!) (PLASTIC!!)

Cuddlybill

Sadly the days of adding a 'rizzla paper or strip of the King of Hearts' are now well gone.............spoilsports  ;) ;)

CB..
The 3 rings of marriage...........engagement ring, wedding ring & suffering!!
You only need 2 words to keep a marriage happy......Yes dear....

Elgin

Quote from: fernlea on July 18, 2014, 18:19:47 PM
WHY Do you need a KEY !?? Are you a plastic spark trying to fiddle the system !!

He is probably a very wise person who considers it sensible to check his meter from time to time.  Based on my experience this is essential because:-

a) on one occasion the loss of power to the house was not a power cut but the wires to the meter (within the box) had burnt out!

b) Within two months of a new digital meter being fitted to our house it went berserk.  All the night units were added to the day units and thereafter all usage was counted as day usage.  Whilst it took months to get this sorted because I had taken regular meter readings I could prove there was a problem.  Endesa are still repaying me.

c) It just makes plain sense to check your own readings against your bills (in Spain or elsewhere).

fernlea

WHY Do you need a KEY !?? Are you a plastic spark trying to fiddle the system !!

The Reiver

Thanks for the information.

mikeypen

Longo's have meter box keys ( at the till ) or just use a pair of pliers , check whether it's square or triangular though.

The Reiver

Where can I find or buy an Endessa meter box key?