Computer problem - windows failed to start

Started by johnhc, September 08, 2014, 11:11:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ADVANCE Digital

Optomist

Had exactly same problem , Start up Repair has never worked for me either but from it you can get to other options . I think what i did was to select something like explore other options and did a scan of the disk which you can also do using the Command prompt with a couple of basic simple commands that you can easily find by goggling , disk scan .

Another option is to try booting using safe mode by getting to the boot options screen , cant remember which you press once it starts to boot , either f2 , f8 or f12 .

If you have another computer make a boot disk or use a USB stick but you have to change the boot options 1st to tell it to boot from whatever you have it on . I have a WinPE which is the bit that actually starts the computer , i stuck it onto a USB , if your stuck and want to borrow it your welcome . I found booting with a Linux program also allowed me to copy all the files , their not dependent on having a windows operating system so either Linux or Windows as long as the computer is running an operating system you can move them somewhere safe .

My Windows was to corrupt to do anything with so i used it to boot my laptop and removed all the files and things i needed before re installing the operating system , hopefully you wont need to do anything as drastic , once you get yours to boot you have a lot of other options you can try 1st .
If you see someone without a smile give them one of yours .

johnhc

Have a Lenovo touch screen computer which a couple of days ago came up with the message 'windows failed to start'.
So I clicked on 'launch start up repair' and that ran fow a few minutes before coming up with the message 'start up repair cannot repair this computer automatically'.
any suggestions as to what I can try next?
thanks in advance,
John
p.s. runs on Windows7