Palm Weevil..copper tubes

Started by minettjean, September 12, 2014, 10:50:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

casablanca

PF - Thanks for that, would hate to lose mine.

phileas fogg

Hi 2 feet up from the base of the palm and then around the palm every 6 inches.

casablanca

Quote from: casablanca on September 15, 2014, 15:47:40 PM
AJJ could you tell me if there is a particular position/height at which to insert the tube? Also is it just one insertion, at the same point, every six months??

So that's a "sorry I can't" then??

casablanca

AJJ could you tell me if there is a particular position/height at which to insert the tube? Also is it just one insertion, at the same point, every six months??

AJJ

We've started treating all our trees (about 200) by injecting the liquid directly into the trunk via a plastic tube. According to Ramblizo this needs to be done twice a year whereas before we were dosing them with 10litres of mixture every 6 weeks. So far all seem fine but once a tree is infested there seems little can be done to save them.

casablanca

I always thought that if you had an infestation you neeed to get "to the core" using the spiked tubes to enable a more direct treatment. As a prevention it is only necessary to spray the diluted mixture onto the palm, targeting where the fronds join the main tree. Could be wrong though??

NormanM

Do these chemicals prevent infestation, or just kill an existing one?
From Normam

AJJ

The way to kill a tree stump used to be to bang in some copper nails so I shouldn't use copper pipe. Copper sulphate gets rid of algae in green swimming pools like magic!

minettjean

Yes I know but what I am asking is...copper applicator instead of the green plastic one....is it ok to use as a little worried cause trees reckon not to like copper

phileas fogg

I got the chemicals from them, told them what I had, after two applications they were found dead around the palm tree, I have applied again  and so far no munching sound and no more dead beetles. I suppose around a dozen beetles were dead around the palm. I will keep applying the chemicals till xmas  on a 6 week cycle and hopefully it will be the end of them. Best of luck with what you are doing.

minettjean

I think I saw a palm weevil round my tree so went to Mora Oil gun shop for plastic sos palm tube to insert into tree.They hadn't any and he showed me a copper one.Bit wary to use this..anyone tried it?