Red Palm Weevil

Started by SusyQ, March 03, 2015, 19:05:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SusyQ

Ligera, don't think you will need more than one litre bottle, the prescription is 1 x ml of Confidor to 1 litre of water, treated four large palms used 25 ml of treatment.

ligera

Hard to tell drooping after all that wind,don't think I have any droopers but one new leaf is yellow,but not unusual coming out of winter and a long drought.Can't see any beetles or larvae,some leaves have a powdery white substance on the base though.I've got 6 Washington palms and one is big so I need to check with shop how many bottles.

SusyQ

Ligera, think the important thing to maintain healthy palms is regular treatment to prevent the infestation in the first place, talking to the guys in the shop and the nursery once the beetle has laid its eggs and the grubs have hatched inside the palm is usually to late, think the first indication is the palm leaves droop down.

ligera

What are the signs to look out for please,that your palm has become infected.Would hate to lose one after they have been growing so long

phileas fogg

Hi, I got mine in 10 ml bottle.half first in 5 litres of water apply down top of palm second 5ml in 5 litres around trunk. I think he was trying to get rid of containers that are not selling. Unless you have a forest of palms then 1 litre will be needed.

SusyQ

Called in to the gun shop today, the product is called Confidor, apparently it's very effective in the prevention of Palm Weevil in addition to eradicating them, only downside very expensive at 46 euros for one litre.

cheakychops

Also do not cut your palms in any way in the spring or summer. The insects can smell the sap from miles off.

gingernut

SusieQ you could always try talking to them,if they have any since they would soon b****r off :rofl: :rofl:

SusyQ

Many thanks for your help Phileas Fogg.

phileas fogg

If you go to the gun shop next to mori oil garage and ask the chap in there he will get you the correct treatment a small bottle is around €6 and the next size id €12. apply it in a watering can one dose poured down the tip of the palm second all the way round the trunk repeat in a few weeks, killed all of ours and eggs

SusyQ

Can anyone recommend the best chemical and were it can be purchased, for the prevention treatment of the Red Palm Weevil, many thanks.