Decent bars in Albox area.

Started by JohnJones, July 01, 2015, 18:02:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

byrney

Ian, he's obviously a frustrated, or failed, Council Hygiene Inspector - or a Traffic Warden. Mind how you go.  Never heard anything like it, and he will certainly never have sampled the delights of Manchester's Curry Mile.

I wonder what sort of reaction he'd get if he asked to see the kitchens at the Hilton before gracing them with His presence.

Ian Young

Lynne, i totally agree with you, i have never heard anything like this, is this guy for real?? imagine everyone wanted to inspect the kitchens and prep areas of bar, restaurants cafes etc. Firstly total chaos in a busy kitchen and secondly how does the owner know how may germs and bugs the "visitors" are carrying, especially if the family frequently have "Delhi Belly"
As a now retired bar, restaurant owner for 20 years, my kitchens were spotless and food handling carried out to the highest standards. I would never have let anyone in those areas where i could not vouch for their standards of hygiene

Lynne

I don't think that the restaurants who refused you entry had necessarily something to hide, but I can imagine the chaos when the chefs are cooking and people who have not been 'fumigated' invade their territory if everybody decided to view kitchens before ordering.  For health and safety reasons I can't imagine this working.  Some things you just have to take a chance on and if you won't then I suggest your kitchen at home would be the best place to eat.  Would you do this if you were taken into hospital and insisted on checking out an operating theatre before your operation?
You can't always control who walks into your life...but you CAN control which window you throw them out of.

JohnJones

Catching up here folks, but took the litmus test, and taking the Family around to choose somewhere, asked to view the kitchens in several places ' podemos Ves las Cochinas Primero por favour?' was met with vulgar contempt in far too many places. Only one said yes. It was spotless. If the others were,what did they have to hide? Dehli  belly is a family trait and risks will not be taken. To ask to see the kitchen is not a slur on your establishment but a precaution born of reason and experience. No concept of open kitchens or the importance of hygiene for the customer. Sadly. So We dined at home and hit the beach at Mojacar. no one got Dheli Belly and a fine time was had by all.

byrney

Hope it'll be traditional Spanish Sunday lunch, or is it going to be yet another one going for the silver pound?

e bleakley

Malone bar opposite the BP garage has reopened.  Lovely and clean, quiz night on a Thursday evening which is very popular.
large room at the back for functions, I am hoping they put zumba on.  They have a lovely large kitchen and are in the process of sorting out a sunday menu.  Well worth giving it a try.

guitarman

Quote from: JohnJones on July 02, 2015, 17:16:26 PM
Thanks folks, had forgotten about severlal of those.. The Pool Bar sounds like a must visit, missed it last summer. No connections so there lol Thank you.
Try The Pool Bar this Saturday night  ;)

JohnJones

Thanks folks, had forgotten about severlal of those.. The Pool Bar sounds like a must visit, missed it last summer. No connections so there lol Thank you.

Karen4

Bar Unique is very friendly, as is the Belgian Beer Bar.
Cl3880

Big Bad John

:police: Bistro Bonita at Cerro Gordo is not quite in Albox but well worth a visit. He advertises 'food just like Mummy makes' and he is not far from the truth? (that is supposing your Mum is a good cook???) Best selection and food you will find anywhere in this area. If you go mention 'John sent you' I am sure that you will get the best meal money can buy? This is a recommendation and not an advert.  :drinks:
BigBadJohn.

inbetweeners

if you mean Albox and surrounding area, try the Kalevale, on the main road to the E15, lovely food, and menu del dia is fab
Also in Arboleas, there is Azabache, or the bar at the Arboleas swimming pool, really good food and atmosphere
Happy Garden a must
Bowling Alley, good for a fun night and great food, we always go with the family,

hope this helps a bit xx

Nuflow

The Spanish bar La Guardia viento is fab, friendly, nice food and now doing entertainment.

Not sure if I have spelt it right tho. Its other side of Albox near the service/Baza roads

byrney

Well JJ, looks like there's a dearth of decent bars in Albox.

The only ones seemingly being The Terrace Bar on the Aljambra road (not tried it but obviously confused.com thinks it's OK), Bar Heaven (which I suggested but got pooh poohed for allowing a smoker in), and Bar 6 (which I don't think is open during the daytime).

Best swerve Albox then!

hartcjhart

Quote from: Ian Young on July 02, 2015, 09:14:11 AM
I think we all know what is meant by "free advertising" its friends, families and interested parties giving glowing reports about services of all types of businesses. There was a piece in the media recently about how the "Online" sites are abused that recommend anything from from Holidays, restaurants to hairdressers and dog parlours.
I too have not tried the bar mentioned earlier in this thread, i have lost count of the amount of entries concerning this particular establishment since it opened, might be interesting to know. I think know when something is being force fed to me and frankly its put me off even trying it, along with similar products/services/bars that get aired a bit to frequently for me and i guess from the comments of other users of this site
so could you explain why you are posting your sixpence worth/ I thought it was a thread asking for recomendations,not asking for personal views on advertisisng

Ian Young

I think we all know what is meant by "free advertising" its friends, families and interested parties giving glowing reports about services of all types of businesses. There was a piece in the media recently about how the "Online" sites are abused that recommend anything from from Holidays, restaurants to hairdressers and dog parlours.
I too have not tried the bar mentioned earlier in this thread, i have lost count of the amount of entries concerning this particular establishment since it opened, might be interesting to know. I think know when something is being force fed to me and frankly its put me off even trying it, along with similar products/services/bars that get aired a bit to frequently for me and i guess from the comments of other users of this site

Confused.com

The Terrace Bar opposite the Coyte Bar on the Aljambra road has opened, nice bar with garden area also cooks bar snacks.

felipe

Olly, with all due respect who told you that Bar No6 gets free advertising? The ONLY people that know who pays is myself, Sharron and the advertiser. I know it is none of us that have told you this. So someone else must have been stirring things up. ALL our advertisers pay. It baffles me how anyone can assume that an advertiser does not pay when they have nothing to do with running the forum.

Eddie

Most of the bars now allow smoking inside at some point during the night. It seems that this is now creeping back and no one stops it.

glenholt

Byrney, the Heavens is a good bar and the air conditioning is good, I have used it a lot but was just disappointed that the bar man let the standards drop. The bar girl  when she is on is very good.

olly

I know I have been on ere before having a go at the "free advertising, that bar No6 gets. Have not tried it myself, but it seems to get a lot of good reviews.
If your not meant to have midnight snacks, why do they put a light in fridges?
                        Pete. Oliver.

byrney

Sorry JJ, can't help you then.  I don't know any decent bars in Albox, but that doesn't mean to say there aren't any.

glenholt

I went in this week and there was someone in there smoking at the bar, the bar man did not seem to care. I am afraid they have lost my custom for the time being.

byrney

I recall this was to do with some rival "gypsery" late at night (when normal people are fast asleep) which could have happened in anywhere.

If you stopped going into any pub which had any sign of trouble I think you might find you would become tee-total rather quickly!

hurlez

Correct me if I am wrong but last year there was a nasty altercation at this pub, put me off going back.

byrney

Bar Heaven on left hand side as you go into Albox from the Arboleas end.  Opposite Hiiper Ocio.

Spanish cocktail bar.

Good coffee, good range of drinks and cocktails, air conditioed and a small outside terrace with sun umbrellas.

And, more important than anything, friendly service with a smile.

JohnJones

Recommendations, and why, welcomed. Family visiting shortly. Thank you.