Started by PhillipJLloyd, August 01, 2015, 13:23:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

felipe

I think that we already give all NEW businesses an excellent opportunity when they first start. By allowing their customers to post in the general chatter about the forthcoming opening or after it has opened. As we have done recently with the new Indian, Welcome Stranger, El Teatro to name just a few. None of these paid for advertising at first. El Teatro only started to pay from yesterday, the other still do not but we have not restricted anything other than lock a recommendation. 

The problem arises with existing businesses trying to get around paying the small monthly fee to advertise. This becomes unfair to those that are prepared to pay to advertise. This forum, since the very first day it started 12 years ago has always had paying advertisers. We have only owned it for the last 3 years. We feel that we run  it now with more freedom than it was before. We allow a great deal more when it comes to recommendations.

Do not forget that these were stopped by previous moderators before we took over and reinstated by us. What will not allow and never will, is any business to by run down by a member. Simply because it is one persons grievance against that business and could ruin the said business. Every business will make a mistake and upset someone, but 99% of the time that business will provide an excellent service. We are exactly the same. No one is perfect, people need to remember that before posting about bad service from a business.

Amanda Oakley

Agree with Byrney 100%
Also consider the need to recommend or criticise new businesses in the local area that need "word of mouth" to generate enough business, to, in turn, afford to pay for advertising!!!!!
This is meant to be a FORUM after all!!!
I have been a fairly active member for a while and can see the pros and cons of paying to advertise - love it or loath it, the fórum can be an able "tool" in the growth of any business but at least give them a chance and encourage!!!!
Amanda Oakley
ALO Services (Zurgena)
Conveyancing and General Legal Services
info@aloservices.es
Tel 950 449179 / 667 994682

felipe

Not a bad idea. I will give it some thought as to how manage it.

byrney

Hmmm.  Ok, how about a different approach?

The Forum has very many trusted posters, who, although not necessarily always (some not ever, lol), see eye to eye about matters of State, the World, the Universe, but, all seem to have one common goal in life - and that is to enjoy what's left of the dripping candle to the maximum.  And, some of us, actually take pleasure in telling others of enjoyable experiences.

Some of us partake of the delights (and sometimes disasters) of bars and restaurants locally, and further afield - possibly more than we ought to, and certainly more than El Medico would approve of.

But, I think we all share one love of good food, good service, good value, good ambience, and, even, good air con!  And we all hate the antithesis of those.

For example, Musicdonna has, through the Forum, led us to many excellent eateries, for which we are eternally grateful.  I would trust her judgement on this implicitly.  Si ilarly I would hope yhat I  have also given a fair, balanced view of establishments which we have visited.

So, how's about a simple list of bars / restaurants / enertainment facilities to which "trusted" posters can post without accusations of bias / favouritism / nepotism?

A bit like Tripadvisor I suppose but from peope you can trust rather than those with vested interests (positive or negative).

Just a thought.

felipe

The moment we reopened the facility to post recommendations for restaurants we had an influx of great reviews for loads of bars by ´friends´or the owners themselves under a username other than their business name. Hence the locking of threads to prevent long discussions. This board was abused a few years ago in a similar fashion and the then moderators stopped recommendations completely.

We have to keep some control over it, and having a pop at us does not help. But you need to see it from not just our side but those bars that are happy to pay a small fee each month to advertise.

A recommendation is just that, a recommendation. Not a discussion. There is no need for a discussion hence the topic getting locked.

PhillipJLloyd

Quote from: Argo on August 04, 2015, 20:53:37 PM
Phillip lloyd my post was deleted minutes after it was posted and I received a rather curt message from the owner. Do you think it derserved that treatment?

I was only stating a point.
[/quote

My view is that it didn't, but I also think all threads should run until the end, which they will all do eventually if not locked. If a thread gets boring or isn't to your liking , don't read it or comment. The Travellers post was looked without even getting a reply ???

byrney

Tricky one.

I understand Ian's point and I also see Phil's need to ensure that bars who choose not to advertise on the Forum are not abusing it in the manner Phil describes.

However, we older members of the Forum are all too familiar with the "new member" (no offence Argo) who starts a thread off to advertise their (their friend's, family's) new establishment without paying to advertise.

Without any follow up "me too etc etc" which Ian is concerned about, how can we judge whether the post is a legitimate review?

I for one, have found many excellent places through the power of the Forum and would hate to lose that facility by restricting reviews.

In the main though, I  reckon the Forum owners can smell a rat and tend to make the right judgement as to when to put a stop to a thread.

Argo

Phillip lloyd my post was deleted minutes after it was posted and I received a rather curt message from the owner. Do you think it derserved that treatment?

I was only stating a point.

felipe

What Ian is getting at is that more often than not they turn into, ´yeah I tried it too and liked it´or similar. In the past too many bars were asking all and sundry to post a recommendation to avoid advertising. That is unfair to those that are more than happy to pay to advertise. It is the same with any business so why should the bars etc have preferential treatment.

PhillipJLloyd

lots are locked after 1 post, surely that is review singular, not reviews.
very valid points Argo and CT  :clap:

Ian Young

Think this is a good idea, some of the posts just drag on in a dreary manner ie:- Had good meal. so did i, me too, and me, i didn't, nor me, etc, etc, etc.
If someone makes a recommendation surely we don't have to take a vote on it every time.
Visit the establishment yourself and form your own opinion, remembering one persons perfect meal is another ones poison, we all differ in our tastes and likes. What suits us, will not suit everyone.

CT

''Forum - A meeting or medium for an exchange of views'' (Oxford English Dictionary 2008)

What is the point of having a forum if you can't exchange views and information ?

felipe

To prevent long discussions over the recommendations. It is in the forum rules. This board was locked completely until recently and all bar recommendations were moved to the locked board. This stemmed from before we took over the forum. Recently we decided to reopen it for recommendations but lock the post before it gets open discussion.

PhillipJLloyd

Why are all these threads locked after very few posts ??