HELP FOR LORCA VICTIMS!

Started by Frankie, May 15, 2011, 08:53:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pepe

Hi You can use Sopranos Bar as a pick up point for the surrounding area.We are Situated in the middle of the Compo where there are Spanish and Ex Pats.Please P M me if this is OK for you .

gus-lopez

Thanks to both Colin & Nibbler for bringing the donated items to Lorca & for enduring the drawn out process of getting it to the Cruz Roja . As Colin has said they were most grateful  & would like to pass on their thanks to all who have donated .
Many thanks from me to all those that have donated & to Colin & Nibbler for taking the time & trouble to bring it up. :tiphat: :tiphat:

Queen Clare Shirley

wonderful news

will pop out and buy some personal hygiene bits, they dont cost much but would mean the world to someone who has nothing

Got goose bumps thinking about those poor souls
ILLIA RULES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Arrived Torrevieja 5th November 1988

ColinC

Taken the first van load today. Thank you Nibbler for bringing your van and for taking me with you to deliver the goods. Thank you Guz for meeting us and guiding us through the back streets of Lorca the traffic imade worse by the number of street closures and cranes etc. Thank you for all the people who came with goods to the shop today.

The damage is bad, some places appear to be totally intact and others totally destroyed!

The Red Cross were very grateful for the donations. We asked if there was anything they were particulary in need of, clothing of all sorts, towels and blankets and they especially asked for personal hygene products, soap, toothpaste and toothbrushes, wet wipes that sort of thing. Also babies feeding bottles and teets for some reason, I asked about baby milk but they are OK for that. But they also asked for drinks bottled water and any other drinks (not alcohol!!), I would suggest long life cartons if possible...

Thanks again to all those that have contributed...

Colin

jill cockfield

Excellent response today, and as I write this the first van load is on its way with Nibbler and Colin. We have been given storage facilities at Longo so if we can't get it over all at once we now have somewhere to keep it. Please keep it coming and do spread the appeal to your friends and neighbours who maybe don't use this forum. Some of our customers are making collections in their areas and then bringing a car full!  A big thankyou to those who have already donated and a further plea to those who haven't. We will continue all of this week and see how it goes after that. Nibbler and Colin will be handing it to the Red Cross who will distribute as they see fit. Thankyou all xxx

purmika

Hi, have just agreed with Judi that the Sol Times office will also be a collection/drop off point. We are above New Horizon Villas in Los Carasoles. We have also put the appeal on the front pageof this weeks paper.

Lynne

Will get some bits together and drop them off at Colin the Card.
You can't always control who walks into your life...but you CAN control which window you throw them out of.

Queen Clare Shirley

Hi if anyone is going to buy bottles for babies buy them with 3 posiciones, these are bottles with teats that have three positions which are used for all babies newborn to older

Also wipes, nappy cream, talcum powder and baby milk

nibbler

Hi Colin.
I have a Renault Master,which should be big enough to take all the goods to Lorca.As I said before if anyone has too much to carry in their cars or vans let me know and I can pick it up on the way to you.
Nibbler :tiphat:

felipe

Villegas is right.  When a frined of mine was in Uganda doing support work he had to go to Dar es Salem to oversee a delivery of UNESCO Range Rovers.  One went one way to Uganda the next went the other way to pay the bribes.

Although in the Lorca case I doubt much of that will happen as it is more localised.

We will be dropping off stuff too.

villegas

First, of all well done all of you, for getting things organised so quickly.

Second, I will call at Colin's with bedding and stuff during the week.

Third, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, be careful that all your hard work doesn't disappear out of the back door.
I have taken aid abroad before, and literally as it was going into the front door it was being moved, to be sold out of the back.
It doesn't take long for the b*****ds to move in to make a quick buck on the back of other people.
Whoever is dropping the aid off, hang about, sus out the 'depot', and the people.
If you are not happy, MOVE ON, there will be others.

Please don't think I am putting a downer on all the fantastic work that has been done over the weekend, just passing on my experiences.

Those people need our help urgently, well done and good luck

jill cockfield

Judi to get the benefit very quickly it is probably better to buy stuff, donations of money are good but knowing Spanish bureaucracy there could be a delay in getting help now when it is most needed. Just my opinion.

judi bk

I don't have any kids stuff but would like to buy nappies or water or baby milk.  Would it be better to give money?  How best to do that?

ColinC

Wont be a problem Clare, no doubt there will be more stuff in the coming days...Just want to move as much stuff as we can in the first day.. the sooner its there the quicker the recipients can benefit..

Colin

rainbowsheep03

Quote from: ColinC on May 15, 2011, 20:39:03 PM
Quote from: nibbler on May 15, 2011, 19:52:55 PM
At the moment Tuesday is the only problem.

Thanks Nibbler, lets see how much we get by 2pm and perhaps you could meet Guz with it and then play Tuesday by ear...It may slow down after a couple of days , but I am assuming there will not be a problem at Longo´s ..There is not much room in our shop, but Longo´s have loads of space I cant imagine it being a problem... I take it you know where we are?

Colin

I have some stuff for you, but i cant get it there till tuesday, is that still okay ?

ColinC

Quote from: nibbler on May 15, 2011, 19:52:55 PM

Thanks Nibbler, lets see how much we get by 2pm and perhaps you could meet Guz with it and then play Tuesday by ear...It may slow down after a couple of days , but I am assuming there will not be a problem at Longo´s ..There is not much room in our shop, but Longo´s have loads of space I cant imagine it being a problem... I take it you know where we are?

Colin

ColinC

Thanks Guz, Nibbler has offered to help with Transport I dont know what size his vehicle is, if not and I have to ask Agustin his is only a smallish tipper under 3 ton..

Colin

Tony19

Quote from: Lesley and Pete on May 15, 2011, 16:49:00 PM
Tony19

Check out the following link from the Somos Albojenses forum.  It gives details of the Diocesis of Cartagena appeal and bank details.  The forum usually gives legit. information, but you may wish to phone the contact number to check.

http://albox.mforos.com/1042770/10020028-ayudemos-a-lorca/

There is also another link to find information about the situation in Lorca.  

http://albox.mforos.com/visit/?http://www.lorca.es/lorcainforma/index.asp

Hope this helps

Lesley

Quote from: gus-lopez on May 15, 2011, 17:26:39 PM
Tony 19 ;

https://www.cruzroja.es/pls/portal30/portal.donante.donativo

Here's a link to another site that lists a lot of banks & acct. numbers for donations.

http://www.simplynetworking.es/news-6428-31-lorca_earthquake_account_numbers_for_donations.html

Thank you so much for these links I will transfer some money over now

nibbler

jill cockfield

Thanks Nibbler will contact you tomorrow, can you do other days later in the week if necessary?

nibbler

Hj Colin.
I can take as much as you have to Lorca,Sorry for late reply but it's fiesta in the village and you know what thats like.
If you or anyone else needs to ring me my number is 950092096 or mobile 661402493.
Regards Nibbler :tiphat:

gus-lopez

Quote from: ColinC on May 15, 2011, 18:27:43 PM
Quote from: gus-lopez on May 15, 2011, 16:47:42 PM
We've been in & spoken to the lad at the Cruz Roja . He has said that they would like anything , not just  ,clothes , shoes, toys , etc.. It needs to be delivered to the Huerta de la Rueda ( where the Thursday market is held.) Just explain at the double gates to the police or a Cruz Roja member & they will take it off of you gratefully. He asked when & I said that it would probably be tomorrow.
The problem is , access to the Huerta de la Rueda. There's no access to it except through the back roads from my direction , all the main routes are cordoned off. It would probably be easier if you want to deliver directly , when you are proposing to deliver , you contact me & I can take you in the back way. I don't want to tread on anyones toes here , so if it's easier to offload at Puerto Lumbreras or elswhere then that's fine.

One thing I would suggest is that if you can mark boxes ,etc; with whatever's in them . I.e. clothes, toys ,etc.

You can contact me on 968 441 104 /movil 620 392 144.

Thanks Guz, Once I have spoken to Agustin in the morning I will give you a call and we can take it from there, is it wide enough to get a wagon down?.... Can you get to Longo´s if need be to go along with the driver?

That is a good point marking up what is in any boxes, so it would be good if people could give a general description on the box(es) before they drop them off, I will have some sticky labels if need be for bin liners...

Colin

When you say 'wagon ', what are we talking about ? Lwb van , 17 t truck ? There wouldn't be a problem with anything except an artic.
Longo's would pose a problem as I live quite close to the new commercial centre  ( Parque Almenara ) in Lorca so if he can get there , or even to exit at J-591  I could meet up with him there. Speak to you tomorrow.

ColinC

Quote from: gus-lopez on May 15, 2011, 16:47:42 PM
We've been in & spoken to the lad at the Cruz Roja . He has said that they would like anything , not just  ,clothes , shoes, toys , etc.. It needs to be delivered to the Huerta de la Rueda ( where the Thursday market is held.) Just explain at the double gates to the police or a Cruz Roja member & they will take it off of you gratefully. He asked when & I said that it would probably be tomorrow.
The problem is , access to the Huerta de la Rueda. There's no access to it except through the back roads from my direction , all the main routes are cordoned off. It would probably be easier if you want to deliver directly , when you are proposing to deliver , you contact me & I can take you in the back way. I don't want to tread on anyones toes here , so if it's easier to offload at Puerto Lumbreras or elswhere then that's fine.

One thing I would suggest is that if you can mark boxes ,etc; with whatever's in them . I.e. clothes, toys ,etc.

Thanks Guz, Once I have spoken to Agustin in the morning I will give you a call and we can take it from there, is it wide enough to get a wagon down?.... Can you get to Longo´s if need be to go along with the driver?

That is a good point marking up what is in any boxes, so it would be good if people could give a general description on the box(es) before they drop them off, I will have some sticky labels if need be for bin liners...

Colin

Lesley and Pete

Tony19

Check out the following link from the Somos Albojenses forum.  It gives details of the Diocesis of Cartagena appeal and bank details.  The forum usually gives legit. information, but you may wish to phone the contact number to check.

http://albox.mforos.com/1042770/10020028-ayudemos-a-lorca/

There is also another link to find information about the situation in Lorca.  

http://albox.mforos.com/visit/?http://www.lorca.es/lorcainforma/index.asp

Hope this helps

Lesley

gus-lopez

Tony19

Hi All does anyone know if there is a official Bank account that money can be transferred to for the victims of the Lorca earthquake we really want to help in some way but we are in the UK at the moment

SOL Yoga Centre

I'll sort out some clothing for 6-8 year old girls and get some nappies.

Lianne
The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt within the heart.
Helen Keller

I am supporting Operation Christmas Child 2012.

Dave 41

Quote from: rafa on May 15, 2011, 12:18:31 PM
dont get me wrong,but is the goverment not there to help,spain is not some sort of third world country

Reading your stupid remark, that Spain is not a 3rd world country. I just hope that one day you will need help when your house falls down!!!!! :head

Queen Clare Shirley

Wonderfull

Also these children have lost their toys and things to keep them entertained and also school items

So if you can

Why not pick up some colouring pens , paper and pens to keep them entertained
Also I will dig up some teddies that the girls dont need as Im sure they will help to comfort small kids and wether the government will help these people are not going to be thinking about toys or spending money on such things now

gus-lopez

Quote from: Frankie on May 15, 2011, 11:28:34 AM
It appears that help is coming through from this end.  We now need to find out where it needs to be dropped off in Lorca.
Gus-Lopez can you find out for us please as you live up that way?

I'll find out & get back to you later.

ColinC

Just had this back from Clare..

´´Ok, just got back. There are in most places a CARITAS DIOCESANA. I think they are linked to the churches, you may have one in Albox that you can take stuff too or the one in Puerto will be open tomorrow afternoon around 5pm and they will then take to Lorca. There was/is one in Lorca but I am not sure whether it is functioning. On my wall are copies of leaflets from the Ayuntamiento of Puerto Lumbreras and you can go there as well. If you want to contact the Caritas Diocesana, they are next to the big Church in Puerto, close to the Rambla Parroquia de Puerto Lumbreras 968 402 291. Don Antonio or Don Andres are the priests´´

I also have a friend in Lorca, I have sent him a message to see if there is a direct contact in Lorca in case it helps to take it direct and save double handling...

Colin

felipe

It is no more than was done last year in England with the floods in Cumbria.  People rallying around to help others in desperate need.  The government will do their bit when it comes to rebuilding.

Tony19

Quote from: rafa on May 15, 2011, 12:18:31 PM
dont get me wrong,but is the goverment not there to help,spain is not some sort of third world country

I am sure the Government will help with rebuilding etc but this is about people that have lost everything so it's all the little personal stuff that is needed quickly & that's what people are trying to help with.

rainbowsheep03

I have a few bags of baby clothes, vests, tshirts and a few bits and pieces for 2 year olds mostly girls though. I hope they will help, i'll take them to colin the card, but will most probably be tuesday.