Gaviscon or rennies Spanish equivalent ?

Started by figaros4sale, July 21, 2012, 18:47:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

temasek

Thanks for that, Lynne. It is very worrying. Altho I should not,(health issue)  I think I will try Karen's idea of peanut butter. Can't be any worse than this little lot.
My cousin treats it with peppermint.
Worth printing this out.
:wave
W.R.L.F.C.

Lynne

You can't always control who walks into your life...but you CAN control which window you throw them out of.

temasek

:head :head :head Look it up first next time
:tiphat:
W.R.L.F.C.

guest4538

Quote from: temasek on July 22, 2012, 12:22:50 PM
Well it is on some of the leaflets.
Just deleted the rest of this post as you seem to know my medical history better than I do.
This is what it does , end of story.
:tiphat: good day!
By the way..... myalgia = muscular rhuematism

I wondered what it was - thanks for the answer...

temasek

Well it is on some of the leaflets.
Just deleted the rest of this post as you seem to know my medical history better than I do.
This is what it does , end of story.
:tiphat: good day!
By the way..... myalgia = muscular rhuematism
W.R.L.F.C.

guest4538

Quote from: temasek on July 22, 2012, 11:17:07 AM
I risk a day or two on Omeprazole as they are really good but can cause muscle pain etc in the legs in some people

That's not a side effect mentioned in the British National Formulatory:

"Side-effects of the proton pump inhibitors include gastro-intestinal disturbances (including nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain, flatulence, diarrhoea, constipation), and headache. Less frequent side-effects include dry mouth, peripheral oedema, dizziness, sleep disturbances, fatigue, paraesthesia, arthralgia, myalgia, rash, and pruritus. Other side-effects reported rarely or very rarely include taste disturbance, stomatitis, hepatitis, jaundice, hypersensitivity reactions (including anaphylaxis, bronchospasm), fever, depression, hallucinations, confusion, gynaecomastia, interstitial nephritis, hyponatraemia, hypomagnesaemia (with long-term treatment), blood disorders (including leucopenia, leucocytosis, pancytopenia, thrombocytopenia), visual disturbances, sweating, photosensitivity, alopecia, Stevens-Johnson syndrome, and toxic epidermal necrolysis. By decreasing gastric acidity, proton pump inhibitors may increase the risk of gastro-intestinal infections (including Clostridium difficile infection)."

temasek

Lynne is right. What is good for some is bad for another, like all medication. I take these sort of tablets to counter act tablets I have to take for life.
For example in the UK I had a very serious reaction to Gaviscon and was told it was the very first time this had been heard of.
If acidity and heartburn get too bad I risk a day or two on Omeprazole as they are really good but can cause muscle pain etc in the legs in some people .... but my dose is 40 mg, the 20 mg has not much effect on me.
Superdrug do a good own brand antacid., 96 in a packet and I always get people to bring these over for us.
PS look out for sugar in some of them if you are not to have sugar.
W.R.L.F.C.

casabonita

When I need antibiotics my old the doctor in the UK always gave me Omprazole along side to stop the antibiotocs upsetting my Stomach as they did most times and always worked.

Karen4

If you have heartburn (acid reflux) at night, take a teaspoon of peanut butter immediately before going to bed, sorted.
Cl3880

Lynne

Interesting - might give Secrepad a try when I run out of Gaviscon - thanks.
You can't always control who walks into your life...but you CAN control which window you throw them out of.

Louise

Lynne, I took the Gaviscon tablets sometimes during my pregnancy. The box was empty and at the pharmacy they looked it up and gave me Secrepad, as an equivalent. It helped me in the same way.

Indeed, there is a shop in Turre that sells some (soft) medicine/drugs. Not sure what the name of the shop is, and yes, think I saw these there like 6 months ago or so, but did not buy them, because there is still some secrepad left in my medicine cabinet.
Yhe pharmacy is the best option: take your gaviscon box with you and they will look at the composition and give you something similar.

Lynne

What suits one doesn't always suit another so you may have to try a few different ones before you find the one that suits you best.  Nothing that I've found in Spain touches my indigestion, including Almax and Maalox, so I always make sure I have a good stock of Gaviscon tablets in, even if it means getting friends to bring them over from the UK.  Home Sweet Home in Turre used to sell Gaviscon, but not sure if they're still allowed to.

guest4538

Quote from: jill cockfield on July 22, 2012, 08:19:03 AM
I have taken omeprazol for 3years and have no side effects whatsoever, just no heartburn, and I used to get heartburn every day.....it is marvellous!

Omeprazole is one of a group of drugs called 'proton pump inhibitors', they all do the same job:

OMEPRAZOLE
LANSOPRAZOLE
ESOMEPRAZOLE
PANTOPRAZOLE

According to Google translate, the Spanish simply remove the final 'e' in their spelling of these drugs, but you might find that they have quite different names.
I've used them without problems for years. Some folk, in the know, just use them after heavy drinking to avoid the effects of hangovers!

Louise

secrepad is like the gaviscon tablets (against stomach acid) - beige sucking tablets, bit like chalk

got omeprazol once to avoid problems with heavier medicines, more to protect my stomach

jill cockfield

I have taken omeprazol for 3years and have no side effects whatsoever, just no heartburn, and I used to get heartburn every day.....it is marvellous!

ramblagirl

Felix the chemist in Albox also sells Rennies.

thomas david

Almax is the generic equivalent of Maalox and very good and a lot cheaper than branded

figaros4sale

Thx for the replies will get the tablets me thinks  !!!
Thx
Jason

temasek

Omeprazole are very good but after a day or 2 on them I sometimes have difficulty walking. Doc prescribes Famotidina instead. Available to buy, and you take one at night. Otherwise why not have a word with Felix or Magdalena in the Chemist just off the square near the Parilla.
W.R.L.F.C.

casabonita

Hi yes Almax in either liquid or tablet form and Omprazole is brilliant.

jill cockfield

If you suffer from excess acid there is a wonderful little tablet you can buy over the counter called imeprazol, 20mg every morning and you will never have heartburn again!

Maria

Almax forte, white liquid in a sachet, 30 in a box for around 7 euros.  Pour a sachet into a small glass of water, stir well, looks a bit off putting, but works very well.

Chris485

Try Do you have something for indigestion? - ¿Tiene algo para la indigestión? They will probably give you a big box of tablets that you suck. Can´t remember the name though.
Chris
The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese

figaros4sale

Can anyone tell me what I ask for at the chemist for the Spanish alternative
Thx you
Jason